Without no further delay, here is my Top 5 Most Memorable Moments that happened that night:
- Listening to Art explain how the tour came about and explaining how Sugar Ray was connected. Mark McGrath apparently was tripping acid one night in 1997 and came to Art’s hotel room because he wanted to talk. The two stayed up all night and have been friends ever since…I would have loved to be a fly on the wall that night!
- Seeing the Gin Blossoms for the third time and being such a proud fan. For a middle of the set band they really stole the show in my opinion.
- Hearing Sugar Ray cover “All Out of Love” by Air Supply. Kudos to Mark, he hit all the high notes wonderfully.
- Overhearing a young women exclaim, “What the Fuck is up with this crowd? They are old and lame. Why aren’t they rocking out?” In which I commented, “Twenty years ago they were rocking out”. This only resulted in her stating, “God I hope I don’t suck twenty years from now”. I am defiantly in my 30’s and people in their 20’s can officially suck it.
- Having Lit give props to 1057 The Point at a 106.5 concert, hell yes to Real Rock Alternative Radio!
In all I kind of left with the feeling that the music of my youth could potentially be dead but you know what the youth of today will never be a part of or experience something as awe inspiring as the ’90’s music scene which I’m okay with. I will always love ’90’s music and it will never die, it was everything rock ‘n’ roll should be and I’m so happy I grew up at a time when I could experience it and have it shape my life. Thank you to all the bands like Everclear and Gin Blossoms that created so many fantastic tunes, I consider much of their material the soundtrack of my life. Enjoy the photo’s I picked, most images are of the front men of the bands that played Summerland because after all the ’90’s were the era of the powerful front man.