Last Thursday night I got to photograph the first run of a tour called Sailing Rock, which was set up more interesting than any show I’ve seen to date. The band Orleans acted as the house band and the show rotated between 7 different vocalists that each got about a 4-7 song set. In fact the only time Orleans left stage was when Player and Firefall played their sets. The entire tour was created to highlight an era in music from 1975-1985 when ballads ruled the airwaves. I was actually amazed at the string of hits I heard that evening and how many reminded me of growing up with parents who listened to KEZK 102.5 and Y98.1, as a kid I road in the car jamming to rock ballads quite often. Below is the setlist of artists and the hits I associate them most with.
- John Ford Coley, had a huge hit with his 1976 hit “We’ll Never Have To Say Goodbye Again”.
- Robbie Dupree, everyone remembers his 1980 hit “Steal Away”.
- Player, I had no idea the band included actor Ronn Moss of Bold and the Beautiful fame on bass and that the band is also responsible for the 1977 hit “Baby Come Back”…a personal guilty pleasure of mine.
- Orleans, not only stole the show as the house backing band but also are known for their 1976 hit “Still The One”.
- Gary Wright, totally relived parts of Wayne World when he busted into his 1976 hit “Dream Weaver”.
- Firefall, responsible for another guilty pleasure song of mine…1977’s “Just Remember I Love You”.
- Christopher Cross, won 5 Grammy’s with his debut album and had a huge hit in 1980 with “Ride Like The Wind” (Michael McDonald accompanied him this track as well).
It was a great show to shoot and it was awesome to hear so many songs that have sprinkled radio station play lists for the past 30-35 years.